About Big D Building Center
Building Strong from the Start
Big D Building Center was founded in 1921 by D. C. Dawkins and his wife and was known as the DeWitt C. Dawkins Building Supply Company. In 1929, Dawkins relocated to the intersection of West Beaver Street and Myrtle Avenue. The company operated successfully as an architectural specialty supply house for twenty-five years. After World War II, Big D Building Center diversified into general building materials. By that time, three sons in the second generation were beginning to make their mark on the company through a new construction division, and built hundreds of homes in the Jacksonville area. The building supply company was used to supply materials to our own building operation as well as numerous other local builders and developers.
We narrowed our focus with the elimination of the home building division in 1970; and Big D Building Center began to steadily grow as a full line building materials supply company. Our success led to the creation of a roof truss and door division in 1972; and, in 1989, we introduced our first commercial and residential window line to the single and multi-family residential, industrial and commercial markets in North Florida and South Georgia.
The Future Looks Clear
Today, under third generation management, Big D Building Center remains committed to delivering quality windows, doors, and siding products to the area’s home builders and homeowners. Our success is measured in the satisfaction of many of the largest builders in Northeast Florida, who have chosen Big D as their preferred window, door and siding provider; and by the continued support of countless homeowners who have engaged us to beautify their homes.